Pics above - compliments of Aunt Joanie's Christmas decor
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." ~ Colassians 3:12-14

Thursday, August 25, 2011

the power of prayer

Slow to speak...that's me. I'm definitely not a talker and am not the type to show my feelings or "tell how I feel." I don't think that I over-think or over-analyze things, but there are times that my mind does some racing. What good does it do to over-think things? None really. I have learned something in the past few months. I have always known that prayer was powerful, but never truly realized how much freedom and joy you can have in completely surrendering to Him. Not just some things...everything! Your husband...children...home...attitude...words...your entire life. She probably won't like that I'm telling this lol, but Jake makes fun of my mother and says, "everything is always spiritual with you." She just smiles and everyone laughs, but that is something that I am so thankful for. EVERY time I go to my mother for advise it is either "spiritual" or she will say, "Just pray about it Aim."
That brings me to this...the two books that I am currently reading. "The Power of a Praying Wife" and "The Power of a Praying Parent" both by Stormie Omartian. WOW...love them! Of course who was it that suggested that I read them?...my mother. I don't think she has read them herself but she had heard of the books and she knows that I have realized praying for my husband and my children are more important then anything else. The words in these books not only make an impact on your relationship with your husband and your children but anyone else who is part of your life.

Just wanted to share a few things from one of the books...
- the heart of your home is a peaceful sanctuary - a source of contentment, acceptance, rejuvenation, nurturing, rest, and love for your family
- part of making a house a home is allowing your husband to be the head so you can be the heart
- let go of any expectations you may have
- respect is most important - you can not love someone without respecting them first

This is what the Bible says is the model of a good wife:
It says she takes care of her home and runs it well. She knows how to buy and sell and make wise investments. She keeps herself healthy and strong and dresses attractively. She works diligently and has skills which are marketable. She is giving and conscientiously prepares for the future. She contributes to her husband's good reputation. She is strong, solid, honorable, and not afraid of growing older. She speaks wisely and kindly. She doesn't sit around doing nothing, but carefully watches what goes on in her home. Her children and her husband praise her. She doesn't rely on charm and beauty but knows that the fear of the Lord is what is most attractive. She supports her husband and still has a fruitful life of her own which speaks loudly for itself (Proverbs 31).

This is an amazing women, the kind of woman we can become only through God's enablement and our own surrendering. The bottom line is that she is a woman whose husband trusts her because "she does him good and not evil all the days of her life."
I believe that the most important "good" a wife and a mother can do for her husband and children is pray! I pray that God will use me in their lives...in an amazing way and that God will change me and make me who they need me to be.








No comments: